CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY SERVICE
***Please notice the updates in our requirements for each grade level for the 2017-2018 Academic Year***
<<Then the righteous will answer him and say, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?' And the king will say to them in reply, 'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.' >> Matthew 25: 37-40
As Catholics we are called to serve one another as Jesus did. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains, "To receive in truth the Body and Blood of Christ given up for us, we must recognize Christ in the poorest, his brethren" (no. 1397).
In serving the community we are not only benefiting others but we also benefit ourselves. Service helps us to go beyond our “comfort zone” or our “own limits”, it helps us discover more about who we are as a person, and more importantly it helps us realize that authentic happiness and fulfillment is possible when we give of ourselves to others because we were made to love in the same way God loves us.
A total of 100 hours of service are required for graduation. Students will go through orientation for the service hour component at the beginning of the School year. At that point students will be allowed to begin their service hours.
Each grade level will be assigned a particular Focus Area.
FRESHMEN - Focus Area: The hungry and homeless
Students should complete a minimum of 25 hours during their freshmen year. 15 hours need to be worked in the assigned area of service, the other 10 can be worked in school functions or at their parish. Hours must be completed by April 16, 2018.
SOPHOMORES- Focus Area: The sick, the elderly, and the disabled.
Students should complete a minimum of 25 hours during their sophomore year. Your service day retreat counts for 4 hours of service. 15 hours need to be worked in the assigned area of service, the other 10 can be worked in school functions or at their parish. Hours must be completed by April 16, 2018.
JUNIORS- Focus Area: Teach the disadvantaged
Students should complete a minimum of 25 hours during their junior year. 15 hours need to be worked in the assigned area of service and with one same organization, the other 10 can be worked in school functions or at their parish. Hours must be completed by April 16, 2018
SENIORS- Focus Area: you choose! (From the previous three areas)
Students should complete a minimum of 25 hours during their senior year. 15 hours need to be worked in only one of the assigned area of service and with one same organization, the other 10 can be worked in school functions or at their parish. Hours must be completed by April 2, 2018
***You can choose to do all 25 hours in the area of service of your grade level.***
***The Campus Ministry office will provide service opportunities throughout the school year. These will be posted on our website and will also be announced after School Mass. It is the responsibility of each student to plan and schedule their service projects.***
***Please keep copies of all documentation that you turn in to the Campus Ministry office for your own records***
KEEP IN MIND!
· Students will need to work with a pre-approved agency, church, organization, or shelter.
· Students must work within their focus areas.
· If your organization is not listed as a pre-approved agency you MUST get prior approval by the Campus Minister, use the approval form below. (Otherwise you could risk the possibility of repeating your hours!)
· 50% of the hours must be earned interacting directly with the people that the agency serves. (this is not required for Freshmen students)
· Only 10 hours of the total of hours required per year can be completed at Antonian or at your parish (Liturgical ministries). You can choose to do all 25 hours serving in the area of service assigned to your grade level.
· Caring for members of your family will NOT count for your community service. Serving our families is our duty and responsibility as God asked us in the 4th commandment!
· Hours worked during the summer can apply for your incoming school year as long as they are related to the focus area of that grade level.
· Hours do not roll over from one year to the next. Students must complete a minimum of service hours to the community each year at Antonian.
PROCESS FOR COMPLETING YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS REQUIREMENT:
By the particular due date students are to submit to their Theology teachers two things:
1.- The complete community service form (see PDF below) with ALL the information required (signatures, number of hours worked, etc..)
2.- A Reflection paper (below see PDF with the guidelines for this paper)
INCOMPLETE COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS REQUIREMENT:
· Completing your hours of community service is a requirement for graduation, thus Seniors who do not meet this requirement will not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
· Submission of all Community Service documentation on time will be counted for class credit (major grade) in Theology Classes.
· Freshman, sophomore, and juniors who do not complete this requirement will not receive schedules, and will not be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities or athletics (including during summer) until this requirement is met.
· Any student found to have forged their information will be subject to severe disciplinary consequences.
PARENTS ARE REQUIRED:
· To sign their son/daughter service hour documentation (Final report)
· Familiarize themselves with the organization, site, and personnel involved in the service project chosen, and to help their son/daughter discern the appropriateness of his/her choice.