Christian Community Service
“Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’” - Matthew 25: 37-40
2021 - 2022 Student Service Hours
A total of 100 hours of service is required for graduation. Students will go through an orientation for the service hour component at the beginning of the school year. Hours completed over the summer will go towards the following school year.
Grade Level Organizations:
The following are the organizations selected for each grade level for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Freshmen: San Antonio Food Bank (Includes Habitat for Humanity and New Braunfels Food Bank)
- Sophomores: SAMMinistries
- Juniors: Habitat for Humanity
- Seniors: May choose from any of the three organizations listed above (SA Food Bank, SAMMinistries, or Habit for Humanity)
- Every student should complete a minimum of 25 hours during the 2021-2022 school year.
- 10 service hours will need to be completed at the student's grade level organization
- 15 service hours can be completed within your school, parish, or community organization of your choice
- Students can choose to do all 25 hours in the focus areas if they decide to do so.
- Hours for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors must be completed by Monday, May 2, 2022.
- Hours for seniors must be completed by Monday, May 16, 2022.
The Campus Ministry office will provide service opportunities throughout the school year. These opportunities will be communicated in our weekly newsletter and can be found on our website.
Important Things To Remember
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- Students must work within their focus areas.
- Only 15 hours of the total hours required (per year) can be completed at Antonian, parish, or a community organization of your choice.
- Caring for members of your family will not count for your community service.
- Donating money or clothing, blankets, hygiene products, etc., does not count towards hours.
- Practices, rehearsals, and babysitting do not count.
- ACTS Retreats will count for school or parish hours only.
- Fostering or adopting a pet does not count.
- Volunteering for political activities will count for school or parish hours.
- Volunteer hours completed during a school day will not count, and the absence is unexcused.
- Hours worked during the summer will be applied towards the following school year, as long as they are related to the focus area of that grade level.
- Hours do not roll over from one year to the next. Students must complete a minimum of 25 service hours each year.
PROCESS FOR COMPLETING YOUR COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS REQUIREMENT:
- Students are to submit all service hours electronically through x2VOL. Theology teachers have access and can view all service hours and reflections through x2VOL.
- Please answer all Reflection questions in complete sentences. If reflection questions are not answered accurately, they may be subject to denial, and the student will have to resubmit reflection questions.
- Reflection questions must be completed for focus area service hours.
- Students do not need to submit a reflection for school or parish activity projects.
INCOMPLETE COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS
- Completing your hours of community service is a requirement for Graduation; thus, seniors who do not meet this requirement will not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies.
- Submission of all Community Service documentation on time will be counted for class credit (quiz) in Theology Classes.
- Freshman, sophomore, and juniors who do not complete this requirement are subject to not receiving schedules or transcripts and are not subject to participate in extracurricular activities or athletics until this requirement is met.
Any student found to have forged their information will be subject to severe disciplinary consequences.
PARENTS, PLEASE NOTE:
- Parents, please familiarize yourself with Family Connection through Naviance to enter hours on x2VOL.
- Parents should familiarize themselves with the organization, site, and personnel involved in the service project chosen, to help their son/daughter discern the appropriateness of his/her choice.